The role of the Apprentice in Bricklaying & Blocklaying is to learn and build the necessary skills to become a valued part of the team in producing quality work and clean and well-constructed finished products for customers. There is a study/learning component that will require to be completed as a part of this apprenticeship.
Duties include but not limited to:
Follow direction from supervisor to -
- Applying relevant OHS policies and procedures.
- Using bricklaying tools and equipment.
- Handling and preparing bricklaying materials.
- Basic levelling techniques.
- Carrying out masonry veneer construction.
- Carrying out cavity brick construction.
- Laying multi-thickness walls and piers.
- Constructing masonry arches and curved walls.
- Work from plans and specifications
- Seal foundations with damp-resistant materials
- Under supervision learn to use various tools and brick-cutting machines to cut and shape bricks.
- Repair and maintain clay bricks, cement blocks/bricks and related structures.
- Asist in the erection of scaffolding (subject to licence requirements in some states)
- Other duties as directed.
- Communicate well in the workplace as well as working effectively with others.
- Enjoy practical and manual work.
- Must be physically fit, heavy lifting and repetitive movement.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Must have good attention to detail.
- Possess good communication skills.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Technical aptitude in order to follow plans.
- Able to work at heights and outdoors.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Drivers Licence – Preferred but not essential.
Have further questions?
If you have any further queries on this position, please contact: Shannon on 0428 552926 or the SMGT Office on (03) 50221833. All applications must include a cover letter.